Richa Babbar is working as an Associate Professor at Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, Patiala. She was appointed to be a part of Civil Engineering faculty in the year 2010. Before joining Thapar Institute of Engineering & Technology, she was working with Jaypee University of Information and Technology, Waknaghat (Himachal Pradesh) in the capacity of Assistant Professor for four years. She earned her Doctorate degree from the Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, India in the year 2008, and her graduate degree is in Civil Engineering. Her Ph.D work involved intensive fieldwork, monitoring and modeling of water quality for its management.
Other than teaching& research, she has also served as Warden of a girl’s hostel having strength of around 270 students for a period of 3 years. The responsibility called for managing the needs of in house girl students.
Recently, she was awarded the prestigious Indo-US fellowship for Women in STEMM, for conducting 6 months research in USA. As a WISTEMM fellow,she worked as a visiting scholar in the department of Agricultural and Biological Sciences at Purdue University, Indianapolis, IN (USA) from October-April, 2019.
Water quality modeling, Watershed management, Decision support Systems, Climate change study
Research Projects: Co-PI of CSIR sponsored project on Analysis of Virus Transport through SubSurface Mediaamounting Rs 23.46 lacs (Ongoing project since 2017).
Publications and other Research Outputs
- S Walia, S Singh, R Babbar (2020). RunoffInduced Soil Erosion and its Impact on the Quality of Water for Upper-Patiala-Ki-Rao Catchment Lying on Shivalik Hills,Journal of the Geological Society of India, 95, 385-392. (Impact factor:0.899).
- O Al Balasmeh, R Babbar, T Karmaker(2020). A hybrid drought index for drought assessment in WadiShueib catchment area in Jordan, Journal of Hydroinformatics, 22(4), 937-956. (Impact factor:1.728).
- S Walia, S Singh, R Babbar, DC Loshali (2020). Prioritization of Soil Erosion Vulnerable Areas of Upper Patiala-Ki-Rao Catchment Located on Shivalik Hills, Journal of the Geological Society of India, 95, 497-502. (Impact factor:0.899).
- O Al Balasmeh, R Babbar, T Karmaker (2019). Trend analysis and ARIMA modeling for forecasting precipitation pattern in WadiShueib catchment area in Jordan, Arabian Journal of Geosciences, 12(2), 27.(Impact factor:1.327).
- S Tiwari, R Babbar, G Kaur (2018). Performance evaluation of two ANFIS models for predicting water quality Index of River Satluj (India), Advances in Civil Engineering.(Impact factor:1.176).
- S Walia, S Singh, DC Loshali, R Babbar (2018). Hypsometric analysis of the micro-watersheds with different management practices located on Shivalik foothills, Arabian Journal of Geosciences, 11(11), 276. (Impact factor:1.327).
- D Ratha, A Chandra, R Babbar, A Sarkar(2018). Longitudinal Dispersion Subjected to Rigid Vegetation in a Channel, KSCE Journal of Civil Engineering, 22(12), 5242-5252.(Impact factor:1.515).
- S Babbar, R Babbar (2018). Causal dynamics of CO 2 source emissions and population in India using Bayesian approach, Modeling Earth Systems and Environment, 4(1), 339-348. (Scopus).
- Kumar Arunish, Babbar Richa and RathaDwarikanath (2017). Assessment of runoff potential of Tehri sub-watersheds based on geomorphology and runoff index, Disaster Advances, 10(9), 9-17.(Scopus).
- Richa Babbar and Sakshi Babbar (2017). Predicting river water quality index using data mining techniques, Environmental Earth Sciences, 76,504.(Impact factor:2.180)
- Richa Babbar (2014). Pollution Risk Assessment based on QUAL2E-UNCAS simulations of a Tropical River in Northern India,Environmental Monitoring and assessment, 186, 6771-6787. (Impact factor:1.903).
- Richa Babbar and Himanshu Joshi (2010). Mixed integer programming for pollution control of Indian Tropical River: a case study, Journal of Transdisciplinary Environmental Studies, 9(2). (Open access).
- Richa Babbar, D.S. Arya and Himanshu Joshi (2009). A Proposed Decision Support System for River Water Quality Management,Journal of Decision Systems, 18(4), 411-427.(Scopus).
- Richa Babbar and Himanshu Joshi (2008). Empirical Validation of Field Estimated Dispersion Coefficient for a Tropical River, Asian Journal of Water, Environment and Pollution, 5(3), 73-78. (Scopus).
- OIA Balasmeh, T Karmaker, R Babbar. (2020). Estimation of Reservoir Capacity and Sediment Deposition Using Remote Sensing Data, World Environmental and Water Resources Congress, Philadelphia, 2020 (In book: World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2020: Water Resources Planning and Management and Irrigation and Drainage, pp. 154-161)
- Richa Babbar, Malik YousufHussain Ali. (2017). A multivariate statistical approach to evaluate the impact of tributaries on water quality of a tropical river, Environmental Conservation, Clean Water, Air & Soil (CleanWAS), IWA Publishing.
- Richa Babbar (2013). A Bayesian model to evaluate water quality of polluted river in Northern India, 35Th IAHR World Congress, Chengdu, China September 8-13, 2013.
- Richa Babbar, RashmiVikal and ArunaThube (2010). An Electrical Analogy for flow augmentation in tropical rivers, IEEE 9th International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering, Prague, Czec Republic, May 16-19, 2010.
- Richa Babbar and Himanshu Joshi (2009). Integrating socio-economic aspects for decision support: Underlying theories and principles, 33 rd IAHR World Congress, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, Aug 9-14, 2009.
Awards and Honours
AWARD: Indo-US fellowship for Women in STEMM (IUSSTF-DST sponsored),