Visiting Assistant Professor
Dr. Bibekananda Mandal is Visiting Assistant Professor at Department of Civil Engineering, Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Patiala since June 2018. He obtained his B.E. in Civil Engineering in the year 2009 and M.E. in Structural Engineering in the year 2013 from BESU, Shibpur. He continued his research interest in Structural Engineering from IIT Roorkee. He has extensive experience in finite element modelling of fibre reinforced plastic (FRP) structures. He has a keen interest in Structural Engineering, Finite Element Analysis and Mechanics of Laminated Composites. His research areas include finite element analysis of laminated composite joints and thermo-mechanical analysis of FRP bridge decks.
- Ph.D (IIT Roorkee) in Civil Engineering, specialization in Structural Engineering
- M. E. (BESU, Shibpur) in Civil Engineering, specialization in Structural Engineering
- B.E. (BESU, Shibpur) in Civil Engineering
Experience: Job experience 2 years
- 2009 – 2011: Assistant Engineer, Simplex Infrastructures Ltd.
- Structural Analysis
- Mechanics of Composites
- Finite Element Analysis
- Construction Management
- Finite Element Modelling
- Analysis of Structural Joints
- Application of FRP in Civil Engineering
- FRP Bridge deck structures
- B. Mandal and A. Chakrabarti, Effects of laminate thickness and tapering on the behavior of laminated composite multi-bolt joints, Journal of Aerospace Engineering, ASCE, 2019, 32(2): 04018158, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)AS.1943-5525.0000985.
- B. Mandal, S. Chakraborty and A. Chakrabarti, A hybrid approach for global sensitivity analysis of FRP composite multi-bolt joints, Composite Structures, 208, (2019) 189-199.
- B. Mandal and A. Chakrabarti, Numerical failure assessment of multi-bolt FRP composite joints with varying sizes and preloads of bolts, Composite Structures, 187 (2018) 169-178.
- B. Mandal and A. Chakrabarti, Elasto-plastic damage model considering cohesive matrix interface layers for composite laminates, Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology, 32:1 (2018), 121-127.
- B. Mandal and A. Chakrabarti, Simulating progressive damage of notched composite laminates with various lamination schemes, International Journal of Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 22:2 (2017) 333-347.
- S. Chakraborty, B. Mandal, R. Chowdhury and A. Chakrabarti, Stochastic free vibration analysis of laminated composite plates using polynomial correlated function expansion. Composite Structures, 135 (2016) 236-249.
- B. Mandal and A. Chakrabarti, A simple homogenization scheme for 3D finite element analysis of composite bolted joints, Composite Structures, 120 (2015) 1-9.
- M. Sit, C. Ray, D. Biswas and B. Mandal, Stress distribution in the hollow stiffened hybrid laminated composite panels in ship structures under sinusoidal loading, International Journal of Maritime Engineering, 158:A2 (2016) A103-A111.
- C. Ray and B. Mandal, Linear and non-linear analysis of fibre reinforced plastic bridge deck due to vehicle loads, Journal of the Institution of Engineers (India ): Series A, 96-2 (2015) 109–121.
- B. Mandal and A. Chakrabarti, Effect of clamping stress on the strength and fatigue life of GFRP composite bolted joints, International Conference on Advances in Construction Materials and Structures (ACMS-2018), 7th-8th Mar 2018, Roorkee, India.
- B. Mandal and A. Chakrabarti, A homogeneous model for 3D progressive damage analysis of FRP composite bolted joints, International Conference on Composite Materials and Structures (ICCMS 2017), 27th-29th Dec 2017, Hyderabad, India.
- B. Mandal and A. Chakrabarti, An equivalent homogeneous model for FRP sandwich bridge deck panels with sinusoidal cores, 6th International Footbridge Conference in Berlin (FOOT BRIDGE 2017), 6th-8th Sept 2017, Berlin, Germany.
- B. Mandal and A. Chakrabarti, Numerical study on the effects of laminate thickness and tapering on composite multi-bolt joints failure, 20th International Conference on Composite Structures (ICCS20), 4th-7th Sept 2017, Paris, France.
- B. Mandal and A. Chakrabarti, Effect of geometry and tightening torque on the performance of laminated composite multi-bolt joints, The Sixth Asia-Pacific Conference on FRP in Structures (APFIS 2017), 19th-21st July 2017, Singapore.
- B. Mandal and A. Chakrabarti, Finite element modelling of FRP composite joints considering bolt torque, 6th International Congress on Computational Mechanics and Simulation (ICCMS 2016), 27th-1st July 2016, Mumbai, India.
- B. Mandal and A. Chakrabarti, A cohesive zone model for the progressive failure analysis of composite laminates including delamination damage effects, 5th Structural Engineers Word Congress (SEWC 2015), 19th-22nd Oct 2015, Singapore.
- B. Mandal and A. Chakrabarti, Influence of notch on progressive damage of multi-layer composite laminates. 10th International Conference on Composite Science and Technology (ICCST 10), 2nd-4th Sept 2015, Lisbon, Portugal.
- B. Mandal and C. Ray, Thermal and mechanical bending analysis of laminated FRP bridge deck, 4th International Conference on Recent Advances in Composite Materials (ICRACM- 2013), 18th-21st Feb 2013, Goa, India.
- B. Mandal and A. Chakrabarti, A three-dimensional numerical model for failure behavior and bearing strength analysis of multi-bolt FRP composite joints, 6th Structural Engineering Convention 2016 (SEC 2016), 21st-23rd Dec 2016, Chennai, India.
- B. Mandal and A. Chakrabarti, Influence of lamination scheme on the behavior of laminated composite bolted joints, 2nd Indian Conference on Applied Mechanics (INCAM 2015), 13th-15th July 2015, Delhi, India.
- M. Sit, C. Ray and B. Mandal, Hygrothermal analysis of FRP bridge deck, 58th Congress of the Indian Society of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (ISTAM-2013), 18th-21st Dec 2013, Howrah, India.
- S. Majumder, B. Mandal, S. Dey and C. Ray, Static and free vibration analysis of laminated orthotropic plates using FEM and B3 spline finite strip method, 57th Congress of the Indian Society of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (ISTAM-2012), 17th-20th Dec 2012, Pune, India.
- B. Mandal and C. Ray, Shear buckling capacity of laminated stiffened plates with diverse stiffener configurations, 57th Congress of the Indian Society of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (ISTAM-2012), 17th-20th Dec 2012, Pune, India.
Book Chapters Authored
- B. Mandal and A. Chakrabarti, Equivalent orthotropic plate model for fibre reinforced plastic sandwich bridge deck panels with various core configurations, Advances in Structural Engineering: Mechanics, Volume One, Springer India (2015) 43-53.
- B. Mandal and C. Ray, Bending of FRP bridge deck under the combined effect of thermal and vehicle load, Advances in Structural Engineering: Mechanics, Volume Three, Springer India (2015) 2493-2503.
Achievement, Awards and Recognitions
- E P Nicolaides Award for best journal paper from Institute of Engineers India
Message to Students & Community
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication.